Saturday, February 28, 2015

St. Jude

For those of you that don't know yet I would like to announce that I now have a big girl job! I went in to a nervous interview with a St. Cecilia prayer card in my pocket as she is my confirmation saint, the patroness of music, and someone I keep very close to me at all times. Shortly after, I started training and received word that I got the job! So... I am now the newest sound board operator for Midwest Family Broadcasting! I graduated with a degree in Telecommunications, a minor in music, and studied audio engineering on the side, so can this be any more perfect? Actually it could... I could also be working towards the good of my third expertise... the Pro-Life movement.



I had worked a couple days so far when I had been told I would be working for a very important event for one of our radio stations, Y-Country. (..and I am in love with Country!)  I was excited, but nervous because I would be the only new person working this event. But here was my answer for an opportunity at the Pro-Life movement! So, last week we held the "Country Cares" event called, "St. Jude Radiothon". This is a live event in which we fundraise money for children with cancer at St. Jude Research Hospital for two days straight. We started last Thursday and it was my job to cue in the stories told from patients and parents with a touching song playing in the background. As you could imagine, I was bawling my eyes out in the studio and on my way home.... but of course St. Cecilia was around my neck to guide me. One story I played, shared from a mother, was about a girl named Zoey.  Zoey was very young and dying of cancer when she woke up one morning and told her mom that during the night before, there were angels in her room. She described them to her, told her they were at the end of her bed, and that they had told her, "Everything's gonna be okay." The next morning Zoey woke up again and said, "Mommy, the angels were in my room again last night but this time Jesus was with them and he brought his momma. They said it's okay for me to leave, but I told them 'no'. I don't wanna leave you, momma." The mother looked down at her little girl with tears in her eyes and said, "Honey, don't worry about me. If they say it's okay for you to go with them then you can go." The next morning Zoey came to her mother once more and said, "Mom the angels were in my room again last night. They said I can go with them, but I have to wait for Uncle Chad." The mother called her brother Chad and he drove up to see her right away. After visiting with her for awhile and saying his goodbyes, Chad stepped out of the room. Zoey looked up at her parents, said 'I love you', and took her last breath. This story touched me in ways you couldn't believe. It is very powerful and very comforting. I couldn't imagine losing my child to something completely out of my control, but am so happy that this particular mother knew her baby was in good hands. Along with the tear inducing stories I also got to hear what an amazing place St. Jude's is. I learned how they use decorated wagons rather than wheelchairs, host graduations and prom, make homemade meals with children's family recipes, make being there feel like a vacation, and extend the life of these children. After a two day emotional experience of the St. Jude Radiothon, I can easily say that I will support this hospital for the rest of my life and someday hope to even make the trip for a visit. Cancer is a horrible disease and life is precious. These children need us. I was very honored to be working towards this event and all in all it was very successful! On Thursday I even got an on-air shoutout and by the end of Friday, we raised $28,590 for St. Jude Research Hospital.



So, as I am sitting in the Cosy studio right now (for the very first time) running the board for the "Warm Your Heart" event which fundraises for those who are cold this winter I am reminded once again that this Pro-Life movement is about so much than just being against abortion. This is about being FOR LIFE in all aspects, at any stage, for any reason, improving the quality of life, giving meaning to it, caring for others, and just... LOVE.


O most holy apostle, Saint Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honoureth and invoketh thee universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, and of things almost despaired of.
Pray for me, who am so miserable. Make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded to thee, to bring visible and speedy help where help was almost despaired of.
Come to mine assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolation and succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly (here make your request) and that I may praise God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity.
I promise thee, O blessed Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favour, to always honour thee as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to thee.
Amen.

If you would like to become a Partner In Hope for St. Jude Research Hospital,  it costs $20 a month or 66 cents a day. Please call 1-800-822-6334 to donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment